From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 17:10:05 +0100
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks to Mats, I now have a chance to ask this group for suggestions.
>What is your favorite Haydn fun music?

the symphony nr.60 "Il distratto", which I mentioned in my recent post,
is a riot.  I like also the characterization of a chicken in Symphony
nr.83, with the same name:  "Die Henne".  The surprising forte in 94
"Paukenschlag" (which not is a timpani hit) is notorious.  101:2, The
clock, is fun too.  "The Journey to the Moon" has indeed its humoristic
qualities.

But my favourite Haydn joke is in "S:t Antonio Chorale".  Kyrie Eleison is
the most serious and sorrowful part of the whole chatolic mass!  At best
you should cry when you sing it.  Then listen to the very cheerful and fun
melody Haydn set it to, in this chorale.  After its performance, a bishop
came to Haydn and said that it wasn't proper at all to play such joyful
music in gods house.  Haydn replied:  "Then I ask god to forgive me,
because I cannot do otherway".

Mats Norrman