From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:19:06 -0600
Jim Saunders wrote:

>By the way, could someone please tell me what an "Ondes Martenot" is? I
>feel stupid exposing my ignorance, but curiosity has got the best of me.
>Thanks.

While others have already answered this with the basics, I will only add
that for a time I had an Ondes in the studio.  Playing it was a wonderful
experience.  It came with an outboard speaker that projected on to a
suspended gong, at least that was my recollection...it was over 20 years
ago!  The sound was unearthly and beautiful.  Like the Partch instruments,
I have yet to find a recording that comes close to reproducing the sound of
it live.

The other part of this was the woman who loaned me the instrument.  Her
name was Rebecca Harkness (Harkness Ballet).  A most interesting person
and perhaps less interesting a composer.

Karl