From:
Felix Delbruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:29:21 +1300
(These wish-lists being what they are, I make no apologies for
self-indulgence.)

Realistic possibilities (more or less):

Ernst Levy vol 2 (Marston, contains more late Beethoven as well as op. 57
and some Haydn sonatas)
Arrau - a 1960s live recital on Dante incl. Gaspard de la Nuit
Furtwangler Walkure and Gotterdammerung excerpts from 1938 Covent Garden on
M&A
Mahler 9, Horenstein 1966 (still waiting for this damned disc to arrive)

If my financial situation changed, I might add:

Bach WTC, Tureck (is this available? If not perh. Hewitt - but I would want
Hewitt anyway, as well as Landowska)
Brahms 2nd concerto, Fischer/Furtwangler
Brendel, Haydn sonatas
Arrau, complete Beethoven sonatas + concertos on Philips
Mahler 9 other versions: Klemperer, perh. Dohnanyi
Mozart, all the 'Haydn' Quartets, Quatuor Mosaiques
Sofronitzky, Scriabin sonatas
Tristan u. Isolde, Bohm/Nilsson/Windgassen
Meistersinger, Karajan (70s) or Abendroth (40s)
Debussy, Pelleas et Melisande (who - Karajan, perhaps?)

And, in a parallel universe:

Furtwangler, London Ring, complete, 1930s, w/ Leider and Melchior
Hofmann at Carnegie Hall (late 20s, early 30s): incl. Liszt Don Juan
Fantasy, Beethoven op 111, Schumann Fantasy, Chopin sonatas
Rachmaninoff: Liszt sonata, Beethoven op 53, 57, 109, 111 (and any others),
Schumann Kreisleriana, Davidsbundlertanze (and anything else), Chopin
Ballades.
Busoni: Liszt major works, Beethoven late sonatas (incl. op 106), 'Emperor'
concerto, Mozart concerti.
Schnabel in Berlin (1920s): Beethoven and Schubert sonata cycles
Godowsky at Home
Tristan u. Isolde w/ Gustav Mahler (or, if not available, Richard Strauss)
Tristan and Parsifal w/ Toscanini (Bayreuth)

Felix Delbruck