From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:31:28 -0600
Don Satz wrote:

>Some folks have asked me if I really have a wife, ...  Before I met her I
>was just a dumb guy with no direction except for fighting other guys in the
>parking lots of bars.  Now I'm a dumb guy with a great wife and never go to
>bars.  Music, love, boxing, family, composer rankings - it doesn't get any
>better.

Wow!  A classical music geek who used to get into bar fights!  Don, you're
my new hero.  If only we could market this image.  Classical music isn't
just for chubby wonks and doofi like me.  The next Mickey Rourke or
Marlborough Man digs Bach!  The rebel-loner image ought to drive into the
record shops hormone-crazed male adolescents (and the girls who love them)
itching for Schumann's Carnaval and Zander's complete Beethoven.

While I'm at it, I might as well tell of my new purchases, mainly from
Berkshire Record Outlet, the vendor of choice for those of us on a budget:
a lot of Hovhaness on Crystal, all works I had on LP, Orff's Trionfi on
Berlin Classics, Jerome Moross film music on Silva, Robert Shaw doing the
classic Shaw-Parker arrangements of sea shanties on RCA (from the BMG
record club), a Julian Bream collection (also BMG), and Scherchen's Mahler
2nd on Millenium (full-price, but wonderful).  I'll probably do a long
review of the Shaw-Parker and the Mahler.

Steve Schwartz, about to curb his CD spending before he winds up having to
sleep under some bridge.