From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:03:29 PST
Bernard Chasan wrote of a composer computer ranking system:

>Criteria would be number of performances in that week world wide,
>intensity of applause at those performances, and cd sales, with
>special weight given to the number of cds of a particular composer
>purchased by Don Satz in the 12 hours leading up th the ranking.

As it happens, I did buy some music within the past 12 hours:  Zander's
Beethoven 5th and 7th and a Strauss disc of orchestral songs including the
Four Last Songs performed by Karita Mattila and Abbado on DG.  I hadn't
acquired any Four Last Songs discs for a long time and was torn between
Karita and Renee Fleming.  But, Karita's photograph on the cover was
something I could not resist.  I'm so hopeless.  The other day, my wife
and I were watching tv on the bed, and I was surfing through the myriad
of stations.  I stopped on a country music video station because of a
particular female I found most alluring.  My wife, knowing how little
I think of country music, inquired what I was doing.  I told her.  She
responded, "can't you think of anything else besides love-making"? I just
looked at her with my sleepy bedroom eyes and said nothing.  She answered
her own question in a warm tone, "of course not".

Some folks have asked me if I really have a wife, and if so, is she really
as I portray her.  Yes on both counts.  I shudder to think what my life
would have amounted to without her.  I mention her often because I often am
thinking of her.  I knew she was the "one" when I first saw her, and I've
never regretted that decision.  Before I met her I was just a dumb guy with
no direction except for fighting other guys in the parking lots of bars.
Now I'm a dumb guy with a great wife and never go to bars.  Music, love,
boxing, family, composer rankings - it doesn't get any better.

Don Satz