From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:19:14 -0800
Don Satz asked:

>Concerning all of the Saint-Saens chamber music, which works and
>recordings are the best?

I might also add the *other* two piano concerti, the 3rd and 5th with
Previn and Collard on EMI, (49051), though of course, not exactly his
chamber music.

For those who have have been told not to like Saint-Saens, don't read on.
For those who think the his 3rd Symphony is nothing more than a big organ,
presented very distastefully; get help--it's a great piece of music!

The 1st mov't of the 5th Concerto has some exquisite moments, (similar to
the extended, quiet coda in the 1st mov't of the more popular 4th).  The
other mov'ts contain snippets of a Nubian love song, though Saint-Saens'
"French Salonization" of this and other exotic melodies can sometimes turn
people off.  I think it all sounds great-- very poetic, imaginative, and
exhilarating by turns.  And I have always loved his chord progressions.

The opening of the 3rd Concerto IMHO is fascinating--with the introduction
the main theme accompanied by piano arpeggios and horns sounding polytonal
at one point.  Dare I say Ravel was listening? These pieces have worn well
over the years for me.  I think they can definitely hold their own, and
more, with the 2nd and 4th.

John Saint-Smyth