From:
Lee Goggin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:44:05 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>A quick rummage through my memory produced St Cecilia Masses by Haydn
>and Gounod, Purcell's Ode and a hymn to her by Britten.  Any others?

As a start, I find in my collection odes by G B Draghi and John Blow, A
Scarlatti's Messa di Santa Cecilia, and an Ode and Alexander's Feast by
Handel.  Actually there are several Odes to Saint Cecilia by Purcell;
beginning in 1683 there was apparently an annual celebration on Saint
Cecilia's day in London for which Purcell wrote many of the feature
attractions, including "Hail, Bright Cecilia" in 1692.  Any others?

Best regards to all--

Lee