From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:16:31 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Iain Simons wrote:
>
>>I recently obtained a new recording of Schumann's string quartets
>>nos 1 and 3 as performed by the St. Lawrence String Quartet for EMI.
>
>I'm also interested in this new recording which I've seen in the stores.
>Currently, I have one disc of Schumann string quartets performed by
>the Lark Quartet on Arabesque.  It seems fine, but I have no basis of
>comparison.  Any experts out there on Schumann string quartets - perhaps
>Mimi?

You rang??

I've been hoping someone would record all of them!  I'd like to see all
three in one collection.  I heard a while back that Naxos is going to
record all of the Schumann chamber music, and I'm eagerly awaiting that
series of events.

Once upon a time, there was a Philips recording with the Quartetto Italiano
doing a luscious and smooth performance of all the Brahms and Schumann
quartets.  I loved that set.  Philips has reissued the Brahms on cd, but
for some weird and whacky reason never (as far as I know) released the
Schumanns.  If I knew who to yell at, believe me I would!

I'm not an "expert" on the Schumann quartets, but I have played all of
them with great delight.  They should be recorded by many different groups.
I think they are all fine!  I'd like to hear a very rhythmic and vigorous
recording of the second quartet.  Schumann has great rhythmic surprises,
funny accents in unexpected places, and meltingly beautiful melodies, rapid
changes of mood, great emotional range.  These quartets deserve to be
heard.  It always has shocked me that there are not more recordings
available.

While you are waiting for the Schumann quartets, try the FANTASTIC Schumann
piano trios.  There are three.  I am very partial to the older Beaux Arts
cds, with Pressler, Cohen and Greenhouse.  It's a Philips two-fer including
the Piano Quartet and the Piano Quintet!  (Philips classics 456 323-2).
The newer Beaux Arts recordings of the trios are ok, (I should be so ok),
but the older ones captured my heart.  Not to be missed is the strange
second movement of the Trio No.  1 in D Mino, op.  63 for piano, violin and
cello.  The dotted figures are SO EXCITING!  It just knocks me out.  Every
time I listen to the trio, I have to repeat the second movement a few times
because I love it so much.

Since I'm being so wordy, I might as well mention the very fine volume
of Schubert Chambermusic (Edited by Clara Schumann!) containing the Three
piano trios, the three string quartets, the piano quartet and the piano
quintet, published by Dover.  Those of you who'd like to get some score
reading experience would be well advised to get this and other chamber
music scores.  It's great practice and will increase your listening
pleasure.  Even if you don't "hear" all the pitches, watching the way the
instruments line up will be almost as much fun as watching a performance.
This inexpensive and beautifully printed Dover edition (and others) are
available from Amazon, and if you go to Amazon by way of Dave's website
at www.classical.net (Books link) you will be helping him out, too, since
Amazon is an advertiser.  (That was an unpaid political announcement.)

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>