From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:47:07 +1100
Don Satz wrote:

>I was close to getting a new recording on Koch-Schwann devoted to Joseph
>Joachim's overtures until I read a review that was luke-warm toward the
>music itself and downright negative concerning the conducting by Roland
>Bader.  Does anyone have an opinion at odds with the review I mention?

I have two Joachim overtures - Henry IV and Hamlet - as fillers for his
Op 11 Violin Concerto on IMP and conducted by Leon Botstein.  They're very
eclectic pieces, eg there's a short phrase from Beethoven's 9th in one, but
mostly, among others, they sound like Liszt, not one of Don's favourite
composers.  My only encounter with Roland Bader is his version of Nicolai's
Te Deum which I like well enough but not as much as the DG LP I have of it.
Perhaps this is one to pass.

Richard Pennycuick