From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:08:47 -0500
No one's mentioned this one yet:

1. John Williams - Music to Star Wars: Some may think it's oversimplified
   Wagner, but it's actually quite fantastic and made normal people start
   to think, "Wow, I didn't know an orchestra could do that!  and We need
   more orchestral soundtracks, etc."

My other 4 votes:

2. Holst: The Planets - it had it's influences, for example, no. 1

3. Vaughan Williams: 5th symphony - a very beautiful piece that shows you
   don't need a big orchestra to get big results.

4. Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring - it was in a Disney movie, what can I say?

5. Berg: Violin Concerto - I *finally* got around to hearing it, and it is
   quite good. Normally, I listen to the Romantic era stuff, but when you
   listen to this one, there's a lot of action going on structurally &
   emotionally.  Definiately one of the 12-tone pieces.

Well, that's about it. I'd vote for my quartet, which has already been
premiered, but no one out of my home town has heard it!

Joseph Sowa