Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 22:28:24 -0500
From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Mark Knezevic wrote:

>In any case, I was wondering, about past recordings that were recorded
>specifically for vinyl distribution.  As far as I know, and I don't know
>much about this sort of thing, each side can hold about 25 minutes of audio
>at the very maximum.  This must pose some sort of a problem for recordings
>of works by Mahler, Bruckner, etc.  ...  in that you could not fit the
>whole movement on a single side.  Would conductors in some cases have
>to play a passage faster to be able to fit one movement on a side?

I think it was possible to get an hour's worth of music on an lp recording.
At least there are recordings of Beethoven's Ninth on one lp; maybe they
were taken at a faster tempo.  I didn't time them.  I recall a digital lp
recording containing a Brahms symphony on each side.  Longer works required
(an) extra lp(s) containing additional music, either as a "filler" or as a
feature in its own right.

I understand that conductors' editing and tempo adjustments to meet space
limitations on records occurred more frequently on the old 78 rpm records.

Walter Meyer