Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:00:12 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Jim Hunsley wrote in response to me:

>>Bach's music and Vivaldi's are very different, and I see no inconsistency
>>in liking the music of one but not the other.
>
> Well I certainly do.

That's too bad.  Fortunately, I can differentiate among composers of the
same general time period and judge their music without reference to one
another.

> What does Satz think about all of the Bach Vivaldi transcriptions?

The first thing I'm thinking is that it's disrespectful to refer to other
list members by last name only.  Mr.  Hunsley has done this before and must
be a "swell" guy to spend time with.  I won't be finding out.

Second, I don't think about those transcriptions at all unless another
person brings them up, and some list members have done just that.  Mr.
Hunsley presents this theme as if most of Bach's works originate from
Vivaldi.  Perhaps he would provide the actual percentage of Bach works
that represent transcriptions of Vivaldi works since he's so focused on
this subject.

What do I personally think of Bach's transcribing Vivaldi? Maybe he loved
those Vivaldi works.  Maybe he felt he could improve on them.  It's not
relevant at all to me.  As I said before, there's a wide difference in the
music of these two composers, and any listener who feels that liking one
mandates liking the other has detoured off the road of common sense.

Don Satz