Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 19:30:38 -0500
From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
I had written:

Deryk Barker writes:

>I have always found it odd that North Americans tend to refer to this as
>the "Lord Nelson" mass, whereas the British call it the "Nelson" mass.  I
>wonder what this says about their respective attitudes to the aristocracy?

Oh, I think it's fairly simple.  To North Americans, 'Nelson' does not
automatically suggest the British hero.  'Lord Nelson' distinguishes him
from some other guy named Nelson.  In Britain, there would be no confusion
since to them there is only one 'Nelson'.

And of course the 'official' title of the Mass in d minor is 'In
angustiis', ('Mass in difficult times').

Scott Morrison