Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:13:31 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Harmonia Mundi has had a very successful series titled Les Nouveaux
Interpretes which features relatively young and new talented artists
at mid-price.  So far, the volumes I've enjoyed the most include the
Beethoven opus 18 string quartets performed by the Turner Quartet on
period insturments and Piotr Anderszewski's Bach recital of the French
Suite no. 5 and the Overture in the French Style.

Anderszewski is about 30 years old and is likely best known as a frequent
partner of Viktoria Mullova in concert performances.  I can't speak for
other repertoire, but he's the real thing concerning Bach.  He has the
idiom down perfectly, his playing is crystal clear, and the part playing
is superb.  I have not heard either Bach work on the cd played better, and
the recorded sound is excellent, although a little bass heavy.  In fact, if
you wanted to test your speakers for their abilty to provide bass response
without interference, this cd would be a worthy subject.  I used it for
testing purposes when I bought a new receiver, and it led to my returning
the receiver to the store as it couldn't handle the bass without
interference.

I anticipate that Anderszewski's reputation will sky-rocket in the coming
years, and he'll probably get a nice fat contract from a major record
company.  BBC Music Magazine commented that Anderszewski has a decent
chance of being one of the greats - I'd say it's a sure thing.  Also,
reviews in periodicals of his Bach disc have largely been outstanding.

Thee are only 53 minutes of music on the cd, but it's half price and would
be a bargain at premium price.  What's best about this disc is that my
enjoyment of it just keeps incresing with additional hearings.

Don's Conclusion - A Must-Buy for anyone who appreciates Bach on the piano.
Treat yourself.  You'll be listening to one of the greatest Bach pianists
of the 21st century.

Don Satz