Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 23:24:15 +0100
From:
Terje Rydland <[log in to unmask]>
Edouard Cruz wrote

>I'd like to buy Rigoletto in a near future.  The French critic like
>kubelik/Bergonzi/Scala almost unanimosly.  The British like this one
>and Callas or Sutherkand/Pavarotti.  I'd like to know the view from the
>Italians and the Germans

I don't qualify since I'm Norwegian, but I'm sure you don't mind me
chipping in...

I have 2 recordings that I like very much.  One is Jussi Bjorling live from
the Royal Opera House in Stockholm, recorded January 1.  1957, on Bluebell
ABCD 044.  I don't know if it is possible to get this in Canada.  It has
wonderful drive and a sense of drama.  The sound is very good for a live
recording from 1957.

The other recording is on EMI Classics with Callas and Gobbi from La Scala
conducted by Tullio Serafin (EMI 5 56327 2).  This has Gobbi as a wonderful
Rigoletto.  I'm not that fond of Callas - I don't think her voice suits
Gilda.  Gobbi on the other hand is a marvellous Rigoletto and has a sense
of drama that makes this a very exciting recording.  Di Stefanos Duke is
also very good.

Both of the recordings are in mono (the Bluebell was recorded in 1957,
the EMI in 1956), but who cares.  The sound on the EMI is very good on my
stereo, and the Bluebell is surprisingly good for being a live recording.

I would reccomend both.

Terje Rydland