Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:15:26 -0800
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Tim Dickinson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>A couple of other recordings of this piece that interest me but don't seem
>to be around anymore are Rattle and Bertini.  Aren't all of these EMI
>releases? Hmmmmmmm......

Yup, although I'm not sure the Bertini was released in the US - I think it
was in Canada.

I like the Rattle, although as with virtually everything I've heard
him do more recently, his understanding of the music has deepened since
the recording was made.  I like the Bertini too, I'd put both in the
"classical" approach to the music, if that makes any sense.  Horenstein
is the finest exponent of this approach.

Klemperer is dinstinctly not to my taste:  I have no basic problem
with slow per se (his 1970 Eroica, over an hour with*out* first movement
repeat, I really like) but this is like watching a post mortem on the
music.  Fine for the anatomy class, but this is the only recording I know
where I cannot wait for the first movement to end.  He is much better in
the inner movements, even though they are not quick, but the finale (IIRC,
I can rarely get this far) isn't much better than the opening mvt.

I know people who strongly disagree with this BTW.  They're wrong of
course...:-)

Deryk Barker