Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:16:05 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Ray Bayles wrote concerning Liszt's Les Preludes:

>At one time, it was among the most requested works from the general
>public.  I am surprised that so many people don't know it....

When I was a youngster in the 1950's, Liszt's symphonic poems, especially
Les Preludes, were programmed often on the radio and concerts.  My dad also
played them frequently at home.

I don't know the reason for their decline in popularity which I think
coincided with the 1960's, the Vietnam War, rebellion of youth, and a
greater sense of keying on substance, not form.  Perhaps Liszt's symphonic
poems were considered too flashy and shallow.  Not being a Liszt fan, I
really have no idea, but I'm trying to live with the loss.

Don Satz