Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:35:04 PST
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
I recently picked up The Art of Fugue performed by Robert Hill on
harpsichord, the first recording I have of the Hanssler Bach series.
I thought this was a good place for me to start, and I remembered some
good reviews of a previous Art of Fugue by Hill on Music & Arts.

Hill hits the right notes and the recorded sound is excellent; that's
about it for the favorable aspects of the production.  I found Hill's
interpretations straight-forward to a fault with a minimum of expressivity.
There was no yearning or attempt to take flight, drama was insufficient,
variety of dynamics was given little emphasis, and nothing in the
performance penetrated beyond my surface.

When I react this way to a performer of fine reputation, I usually wonder
if it might be me and not the artist that's on the wrong track.  However,
further playings did not affect my original perceptions.

I an interested in what others think of Hill's Bach.

Don's Conclusion - Buy a different version: Gilbert or Leonhardt.

Don Satz