Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:02:23 +1100
From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
A few comments on those I have:

Dohnanyi 1 and 2.  Well worth getting.  The first is a big (~45') splashy
virtuoso piece, the second less so.

D'Albert 1 and 2.  The first is meandering, not very memorable tunes,
doesn't hold your attention.  The second is a much better piece but this CD
might be one to avoid.

Mendelssohn Double Concertos.  Tuneful, infectious pieces.  For some, they
go on too long, but not for me.

Arensky Piano Concerto and Fantasia on Russian Folksongs, Bortkiewicz Piano
Concerto 1.  Depends on whether you like the C19 Russian concerto style.
If you do, all this is good stuff.  BTW, I have a very old LP of the
Bortkiewicz with the Busoni Indian Fantasy which could do with a new
recording.

Paderewski and Moszkowski.  For my money, one of the most successful of the
series.  In particular, the Moszkowski has a slow movement which is quite
meltingly beautiful.

Scharwenka #4 and Sauer.  Another winner, virtuoso stuff again.  The
Scharwenka doesn't approach the demonic intensity of his #1, which I think
is probably the best I've heard from that era, but it's still a great
piece.

It goes without saying that all of these are recorded and played in the
best traditions of the label.

Mention of the Saint-Saens Concertos in the new Hyperion series of violin
concertos prompts me to mention a fine budget-priced 2-CD set on EMI which
contains not only all the concertos, but other toothsome pieces for violin
and orchestra, some with other instruments.  Ulf Hoelscher is the
violinist.

Richard Pennycuick