From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:48:15 +0100
Bruce Guidotti:-
One of the disadvantages is that the bees can't clean the bottom board as
> they would if they had access to it.
> It is kind of tough to scrape out given the bees are really plentiful and
it
> has been hot in the NE this year so the bees usually beard over the
entrance
> most days and nights?

This season, after reading comments in these pages, have returned to a
system I tested a few years back - Open Mesh Floors. In these pages it was
being advocated as a method of varroa control, the mites falling through the
mesh onto the ground below the hive.

Have only used half the hives (four) in the home apiary in order to compare
differences but it appears to be working. Bruce mentions a beard forming
over the front of the hive, well even in our temperate UK climate that was
also happening to the strongest of the four, until the open mesh floor was
used. Now even on our occasional hot days they are all very content to stay
within the box. Obviously no debris forms on the floor, hence no cleaning or
wax moth problems.

I will leave my mesh floors in position throughout the winter, my previous
experience was that my bees enjoyed the added ventilation, less
condensation.

I am not advocating Open Mesh Floors as the only method of varroa control,
in fact will be inserting Bayvarol or Apistan strips very shortly, but from
literature I read some years ago one mite can multiply 1000 times in twelve
months so every one that takes 'the big drop' through my floors could reduce
the problems for my bees.

I still need stewards for the Shrewsbury Flower Show on 13/14 August -
contact direct.

Ken Hoare