Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:54:00 -0500
Hello,
I have to be away for a few weeks (poor timing) so I was adding extra supers
to my colonies.  I took the cover off one colony and there was a queen
running around on the top of the inner cover.  She was plump and did not
appear to be a virgin or a queen preparing to swarm.  I put her in the hole
of the inner cover and a few seconds later she came back out.  I did notice
one worker feeding her.  I marked her and put her on the top bars of the top
super and put another empty super on top.  I closed up the hive and kept
working.  A few minutes later I lifted the outer cover and there she was
again.  I didn't go through the colony and look for another queen.  I
thought it was better to leave it alone and let the bees sort it out.  Is
this queen anti-social, or is she waiting for her date.

Also, when I get to this yard and am still getting things ready, there are
some aggressive bees that immediately show their displeasure with my being
there.  The problem is I can't tell which colony they are from.  When I work
the colonies none appear more aggressive than any other.  There is no
evidence of skunks or anything else bothering them.  I wouldn't care except
the bees are located in an orchard that is part of an Institute/Research
Farm.  They have tours through the orchard.  I spoke to the orchard workers
and they said they were not bothered by the bees so I guess you have to get
close.  I just wish I could tell what colony is doing this.

Bee well,
Ron Bogansky
Kutztown, PA  USA