From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:15:58 -0400
On 27 Aug 99, at 7:56, Aaron Morris wrote:

> I was glad to see Jim Bach's post on the disposal of Apistan and Bavarol.
> Move over Jim, there's more room on that soapbox!

Soapbox? A pulpit might be more appropiate! It must be nice to live
in a world of absolute black and white, no half measures or if and
what if?
        In my world of greys and off whites there has to be areas to
manouver in. In my case I made certain to state that I knew it to be
wrong to leave strips in all winter with no intention of repeating it
this year, but in your world of B&W it would state 'leave them out'.
Save years of hard work and selection and my bees of course, or leave
the strips out and watch them die!
         Be honest Aaron, faced with those two choices I know which one you
would choose. A little less pontificating and more honesty?

> I too find it "appalling that beekeepers, and so-called beekeeping  gurus
> often misuse chemicals...."
>  One (or perhaps many) beekeepers tell beekeepers in Ontario that they
> heard you can leave strips
> in all winter with no ill effects and Ontario beekeepers shout the word
> far and wide that you can leave the strips in all winter with no ill
> effects.  They've done so, left 'em in last winter and saw no ill effects.

Not strictly correct. We were advised, during the first onslaught of
Varroa crossing the border, that the hives would be swamped with
incoming Varroa mites from other collapsing hives in the area. With
this in mind and the fact that robbing takes place well into frost
time it was decided that leaving strips in would help kill these late
arrivals. In practice this is what happened to us last year, long
after the golden rod was gone we were finding signs of varroa still
coming into the hives. Too many grey areas!!!!!!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>