From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:02:17 -0700
Robin Newton writes concerning advertising on an online New Grove:

>Wouldn't that be cool!  It would look wonderful for music and would be
>a real example of the power of the consumer!

I must register an opposing view.

The New Grove is already available for free -- in libraries.  I'd like to
think that at least scholarly publications could remain free of the scourge
of advertising.  I avoid web sites which have it.  Not only does it cause
me to question their editorial standards, but it frequently makes them
eyesores.  I hope the New Grove is above such nonsense.  For that matter,
no one has asked me to contribute to it, but the idea that my article could
be accompanied by online ads would be a good reason to say "No."

Todd McComb