From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:20:59 -0400
Felix Delbruck writes in response to Walter Meyer re Beethoven's Missa
Solemnis:

>You've certainly made me want to listen to the Mass again - now I just
>need to find a recording that can meet the demands of this work.  I'm
>especially suspicious of Gardiner's Beethoven since I heard his mauling
>of the 9th symphony.

I would benefit from another reading as well (I am most familiar with
the Colin Davis Philips recording, which is well-executed but fails to
drive home emotional high points - something I often find true of Philips
recordings for some reason).  It may also be helpful to compare the MS with
Haydn's masses, something I'm starting to explore further now, rather than
with Beethoven's symphonies or concerti.

Others have recommended HIP versions, but I have my doubts that they will
communicate the emotive power.

Any lister recommendations for MS recordings that will open this work up
in all its glory?

 - seb