From:
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 20:19:38 +0800
The Flying Inkpot Classical Music Reviews regular update: Issue 83

Dear Friends, On 1st September, 1939, Hitler's armies invaded Poland. The
rest as they say, unfortunately, is history.

This is a special series of articles from The Flying Inkpot Classical
Music Reviews:  our quest this month is to remember those who died in the
terrible wars of the 20th century, the last of this millenium, at the end
of this millenium.

We call this the Requiem Cycle.  In Latin, the word "Requiem" means "rest",
something which we all seek at some time, something which many artists,
including composers, have sought to express in their art in reaction
against the horrors of mankind.  But art, unlike war, is an act of
creation, of life; hence, it is not our intention to merely commemorate the
dead, but also to celebrate the living, of Life irrepressible in the face
of Death.

The Requiem Cycle is also pleased to feature the art of Sir Stanley Spencer
(1891-1959), war artist of Great Britain during World War 2, this year being
the 40th anniversary of his passing.

Please step this way: http://inkpot.com/classical

We hope you enjoy our website!

Derek Lim