From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:09:26 +1000
Teri Noel Towe:

>Then he told me that the announcer had said that the composer of this
>Valse Triste had committed suicide by jumping from the roof of the Zagreb
>Opera House.  I have never heard of any composer or performer for that
>matter who ended his or her life by so dramatic a means.  Any idea who
>this might be?

The Czech composer Oskar Nedbal (1874-1930) wrote a Valse Triste and died
in Zagreb, on Christmas Eve.  Grove, from which this information comes, is
usually very modest about the details of composers who have died in unusual
circumstances and is silent about how Nedbal met his demise.

Richard Pennycuick