HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:04:01 -0400
>George,

>You need to slow down and smell the coffee, to mix a metaphor.  Are you
saying that >Joel Grossman is in prison in Peru? If he is, why? If not, who
is the neighbor, and >why is this person in prison in Peru? Also, when this
steampipe exploded, how did it >cover Grammercy Park in plastic? Where did
the asbestos come from?  If this was >not what you intended to write,
possibly you should consider shorter sentences.

>JWDougherty                        mailto:[log in to unmask]

I would like to thank the Forum for the responses to the inquiry about the
internment of US citizens, and my questions about internments and for the
information on the "Opler brothers." I am curious about the fact that
Japanese-Peruvians were also removed from Peru and interned in the US,
(possibly on Ellis Island)? Though they have not been recompensed by the US,
to my knowledge, they must play an important part in Peru today, as President
Fujimoro might assert.

The "Emergency Powers" of our Executive branch that were evoked during WW II
have often been promised to be reformed. A former NYC resident, of Gramercy
Park, is in a Peruvian prison high in the Andes today, tried by a military
tribunal without adequate representation that to me those "Emergency Powers"
would provide, and I think as fellow social scientists, historians and
archaeologists we should want a judicial branch of the United Nations that
does more then process war crimes. Recently, Pete Seeger joined "Triad" an
organization dedicated to create a third branch, like the US, in the UN. The
founder of Triad is a former "Stars and Stripes" reporter.

This woman could not even be provided adequate representation under these
so-called "Emergency Powers" and I feel sorry for her and her neighborhood.
Grossman & Associates, Inc., (Joel Grossman was once the yearly reviewer of
archaeology in the western hemisphere for the "Encyclopedia Britannica," now
(?) reported by Michael D. Coe) used to be in the crossroads of Gramercy
Park, Union Square, Stuyvesant Park and 14th Street, (new NYU dorms and a
ConEd Museum on 14th Street, a good museum).

When I first went to work there, coinciding with my HAZMAT training at nearby
Bellevue, a huge asbestos pipe carrying superheated steam (300+F degrees)
exploded killing two persons in the utility excavation late at night in
Gramercy Park. The steam blew over 100 feet in the air. One of the victims, I
had known at his former place of business, the local U-Haul, where we rented
a toboggan, post hole digger, power auger, generator, etc. On one side of
Gramercy Park, many buildings were covered in plastic, and the asbestos
cleanup took months, while residents were temporarily evicted. I'm not sure
if Gramercy Park has completely recovered from both the trial of one of it's
daughters and the explosion. I still can see the Tyvek suited workers in
masks up on the scaffolds cleaning off the buildings and wondering how far
did that stuff actually fly?

Grossman and Associates, Inc. are at a different address, same number.

George J. Myers, Jr.