From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:16:30 +0000
William Hong replied to me:

>Bob Draper wrote:
>
>>At least when we hear the Stokovski version of Bach's (?) famous toccata
>>and fugue we know what we are getting; theme by Bach orchestrated
>>Stokovski.  More often then not performers are not so honest.
>
>Why would you say this? I have to defer to Todd McComb on this one, your
>words sound quite similar to the anti-HIP diatribes one gets from the likes
>of a Don Vroon.  Not the kind of company I'd like to see you keep!

Which part of the above paragraph do you take exception to? There are three
points in it.  I think everyone knows that the authenticity of the work is
in doubt and that it was re-worked for 'Fantasia'.  So it must be last
point.

Let me give you an example.  When I first heard Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
on the radio 15 years ago it was played by someone like the BPO or VPO.
I liked it so I went out and bought Christopher Hogwood's version.  This
was like listening to a completely different piece of music and I was
disappointed.  Of course I didn't know much about music then.  Now, I
realise that Hogwood is closer to 'Truth'.  Also, my mind has moved to
accomodate the HIP sound.  But, of course the average punter (particularly
of Mozart, Haydn etc) likes the big band sound just as the average beer
drinker likes fizzy lager.  So if a record company and artist wants to sell
more copies they provide what the punter wants.  Educating the public is
not on their agenda.

So, although I know that the VPO BPO etc have a tradition of playing this
way, I am sure that as educated musicians they must be aware that it's not
what the composers intended.

Bob Draper