Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:17:34 +0000
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>who sees no contradiction between heavenly and secular

I missed the beginning of this thread so sorry if I'm repeating something.

Last week I listened to a cd of Brahms music for female choir.  This is
another release by Ars Musici with their Essence label.  Its the Hannover
women's choir performing op17, 44, 37 and psalm 13.

I listened to this at a single sitting but I would not recommend that.
Although it's only 50 minutes long it can get a little tiring.  Throughout
the singing is superb and the sond quality is excellent.

But what sticks in my mind is the first item op17 "Gesange fur frauenchor".
On this work alone the choir are accompanied by harp which really does
result in a wonderful 'heavenly' sound.

One niggle is that although all the words are given, this is in German with
no translation.  I don't know why these people seem to think it is worth
producing comprehensive booklets and yet assume that the (English speaking)
listener has no interest in understanding what the songs are about.

Brahms is becoming a bit like Haydn in my CD collection.  IE I am slowly
accumulating everything ever written by these two composers.  (Will
somebody please record Haydn's complete baryton trios?)

However, even if you don't share my love of everything Brahmsian there's a
good chance you'll like this CD if you like womens voices.

I picked this one up for $1.6. A heavenly bargain.

Bob Draper