From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:29:11 PDT
Here come the preludes/fugues in A and A minor and the fortune teller:

Prelude in A - It's a day in the life of a female fortune teller who is
a recent arrival to town.  Folks keep visiting her, paying their money,
and leaving contented.  The music is relatively quiet and quite mellow,
but tinged with a little sadness which represents the gullible quality of
humans.  Schepkin engages in some great part-playing and fully conveys the
emotions of the prelude.  *4*

Fugue in A - The workday is over.  Our fortune teller counts out the monies
collected for the day in a gleeful and fast manner; Schepkin is great - you
can almost feel the cash and coin being flicked off her hands and fingers.
After counting it once, she does it again and again; she's getting a real
rush out of this.  Finally, she's had her full and skips merrily to the
bank to make her daily deposit.  *4*

Prelude in A minor - The car chase is on.  The police have a warrant for
her arrest for Fraud and passing bad checks.  She's a few miles ahead of
them, but they're closing in fast.  They get their woman.  Schepkin takes
me on a wild ride.  *4*

Fugue in A minor - Our fortune teller has been given a 3 year prison term.
Life is not good for her in prison.  Did I mention that she was a real
knockout? - petite, with a face of serenity.  She's usually absorbed in
warding off the other females who are attracted to her.  So far, she's
been able to keep her distance, but it's all tiring her out.  And she
stops trying.  Schepkin does an excellent job of conveying the bleakness
we can bring on to ourselves and the cessation of hope.  *4*

Don Satz