From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:24:37 +0100
"Arch" de Silva writes:

>Firstly, I imagine Bach would have (maybe a Boston rather more); but would
>he have endorsed a Steinway as the keyboard instrument for the fifth
>Brandenburg, or would he, rather, have written new music for it?

Yes, if we do believe that 'Bach would have loved a Steinway', I believe
that he would have rearranged his music slightly (added bass notes, thicker
chord textures and so on).  This is somewhat "anti-HIP":  it's up to the
performer/arranger to "adapt" the music for the modern instrument.

I have no problem with HIP-performances, and I would love to hear
Mackerras' Brahms.

Mikael Rasmusson
(expecting HIP-Liszt)