From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:55:04 +0100
Deryk Barker:

>Rodrigo Ventura ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>Hi.  Could anyone advice me on the best piece to start exploring these
>>composer's work?
>>
>>Listz
>
>Orchestral: A Faust Symphony.  Horenstein on Vox is as good as any (and
>better than all but Beecham and Horenstein IMHO) and cheap.

Dorati on Philips (Mid-Price).

>Keyboard: Piano Sonata in B minor.  Can anyone recommend a modern versoin?
>All my favourites are pre-1950.  Actually Pollini is pretty good.

B minor:Bernard d'Ascoli (don't know what label)

Missa Solennis (Hungaroton)

The DANTE Symhony and the 2nd Piano Concerto was my (perfect) introduction
to Liszt.

Dante: LP Decca, Jesus Lopez-Cobos (not released on CD (yet?). I haven't
found any other satisfying recording.

2nd Piano Concerto: Tamas Vasary on DG or Leslie Howard on Hyperion (2 CDs
containing other works for piano and orchestra).

>>Mahler
>
>Traditionally either Symphony No.1 (Kubelik, DG) or 4 (Kletzki, EMI
>or, I think, Royal Classics get my vote currently).

5, Das Lied von der Erde and especially 9 did it for me.

>>Chopin
>
>When I was young I hated Chopin. Pollini's recording of the Polonaises
>did it for me.

I don't hate Chopin, but I think  he is uneven. I recommend his Preludes and
Nocturnes.

Mikael