From:
James Hunsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:42:54 -0400
I have been amused by somc of the diatribes regarding Cage's music.  The
point has been made of the irrelevance of one's personal reaction to the
music.  To that, of course, amen.  Any emotional reaction, even disgust,
to music is acceptable and fine, and only proves that Cage is palpably
interesting.  Regardless of whether an individual likes or dislikes his
music, it would be inaccurate and impertinant to ignore his enormous
influence on music of the last half century and on that which will continue
into the future.  A rational person is forced to ponder why? For those
persons who can't stand any of it (which I find personally unexplicable,
since the variety of his output is huge), please go collect and listen to
oboe concertos for the rest of your lives.

Jim Hunsley