From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:12:54 -0500
More often than that, when I am inclined particularly to praise or
recommend a work of music, it is because I find it exciting even after
many hearings.  By way of seeming exception, there is a small group of
works, or parts of works, that I find profoundly restful.  Paradoxically,
the experience of finding them so is itself exciting, in a way I don't
quite understand.  Perhaps it is excitement from private discovery of
something special.

One piece, or set of pieces that affects me this way is Cage's Sonatas and
Interludes for Prepared Piano, which Ron Chaplin just recommended to Juozas
Rimas.  Another is Rochberg's Slow Fires of Autumn.  Both of these are
strongly influenced by Asian aesthetics.  To a lesser extent, some of
Satie's little piano pieces also strike me as very restful.  The endings
of Schuman's Song of Orpheus and Shapero's Fantasia in C for piano (hope
I have the title right on that) are instances of works much of which are
agitated, maybe even frenetic at the beginning of the Shapero, but end
very restfully.

Some obvious requirements are slow tempo and quiet dynamics.  One might
also think harmonic resolution, and this is no doubt right in the case of
the Schuman and Shapero, but, although I am not expert in this, I don't
think this applies in all cases, for two reasons.  In the Cage, screws and
bolts on the piano strings produce micro tones or noise instead of clear
diatonic tones.  Also, sustained resolution would surely be more boring
than restful--maybe even irritating rather than profoundly restful.  The
musical examples I am thinking of sustain my attention, for a whole hour in
the case of the Cage; I am not talking of "background" music which is not
meant to be listened to.  It is not a matter of following any intricate
thematic development either; the music is much simpler than that.  Rather,
each moment counts equally with all others, and can be savored.  Of course,
the listener has to slow down to appreciate this; otherwise the reaction
really will be boredom or irritation; but if you do bring a quiet mind,
there are special rewards.

Can anyone who has experienced music this way add examples or give
explanations?

Jim Tobin