From:
Wes Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:40:15 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I need opinions on Bach's "Six Partitas for Keyboard".

Personally, I like the Gould, of course.  But my absolute favorite is Joao
Carlos Martins - anything but authentic - his own personal vision, and
fabulous.  I think it's very cohesive as a musical conception.  If you're
lucky, you could get the entire set at Berkshire Record Outlet (on Labor
Records-same as currently issued on Concord Concerto) if still available.
I also just listened to an older recording by Maria Tipo which I also like
for different reasons.  Now for "authenticity" - I've heard that someone is
going to record all Bach's keyboard works on clavichord.  If it's anything
like the clavichord recordings of C.P.E.  Bach sonatas just recently issued
on BIS, I anticipate it eagerly - Volume 1 &2 are intriguing, with a very
appealing sound.

Wes Thompson
Keller, TX