From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:41:24 -0500
Gerardo Constantini:

>About the poorly, deficient,mediocre,and company,structured works of
>Chopin,Schumann,and Rachmaninoff,i am really tired of it.

Me too.  All the criticisms may be true from some point of view, but
ultimately beside the point.  It reminds me of all those Restoration
and 18th-century critics and playwrights who patronized poor Shakespeare,
who obviously didn't know how to write a play because he didn't follow
Aristotle.  Dryden - no mean poet himself - even rewrote Antony and
Cleopatra into the incredibly dull All for Love.

>I would like to know which work among the tons of mediocre 20 century
>composers(with their respective exceptions of course),can be stand at
>higher level than the simplest Schumann,Chopin,and Rachmaninnoff works?

I hate to point this out, but Rachmaninoff is a 20th-century composer.
As to the mediocre 20th-century composers, probably none of them has
written anything as good.  However, I can think of lots of composers of
the twentieth century who have written works that I like as much as or
even more than some works of Schumann, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff.  Still,
I don't see the need to beat down one group in order to raise the other.

Steve Schwartz