From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:20:32 PDT
I'd love to be able to tell you that we can all get in on the the
ground floor of a newly discovered Mozart opera.  In 1996, a 1790 musical
manuscript was discovered for an opera titled "Der Stein der Weisen" (The
Philosopher's Stone).  The libretto was written by Emanuel Schikander, the
librettist for the Magic Flute.

The only problem is that Mozart was just one of five collaborators for the
opera, the others (all household names) being Schikander, Gert, Schack, and
Henneberg.  The new recording, on a 2-cd set, features the Boston Baroque
on Telarc.

Well, I have never heard of this opera, but I have ordered it and will
report back once the transaction and delivery is completed.  I'm not
expecting any masterpiece, but my interest has been piqued in a positive
manner.  Also, it's always a pleasure to listen to the Boston Baroque.

Don Satz