From:
Jon Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:49:38 -0700
Anupam Basu asks about reconstructions of the music which was an integral
part of ancient Hellenic theatre.  I know of one such recording.  Gregorio
Paniagua and his Atrium Musicae de Madrid attempted to reimagine such
music, based on what little is known from Greek, Latin, and Arabic
treatises, and using reconstructions of ancient instruments such as lyres,
aulos, and citharas.  The Harmonia Mundi LP (HM 1015) was issued in 1978,
and I don't know whether it has been transferred to CD.  Needless to say,
in a case like this the issue of "authenticity" is purely speculative, but
the music is fascinating.

Jon Gallant                             Dr. Phage
Genetics Department                     Grosser Seattle, Unltd.
University of Washington