From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:55:30 -0500
Kevin Sutton asks:

>This brings me to one of my major pet peeves about many a music lover.
>What ever happened to going to the record store and grabbing something
>totally unknown to you and giving it a try just for adventure?

I still do this, but based on reviews in ARG, Fanfare, Gramophone, etc..
Basically, if a reviewer highly recommends something, I'll try it, even
if it's outside my nominal "bounds of taste".  Sometimes I have been
pleasantly surprised, sometimes I write it off as a learning experience.
I will also take a chance with an unknown composer or work if it's from an
era (e.g.  late romantic Scandinavian) or genre (e.g.  piano concerto) that
has proven fruitful in the past, even without a recommendation.

len.