From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:30:48 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Returning to Bach.  Could you express your opinion on his inventions? Some
>of them seem to be too pedagogic (especially the fast ones) and I'm very
>afraid of it because it often means I'll have to skip the track not feeling
>that the work was composed with true inspiration).  Thanks.

I hope I never again hear of someone claiming that ANY of Back's works
are uninspired.  As it is....noone but the composer can really know what
inspiration lies in a piece.  Bach to Bach.........the man was incredible.
The Inventions may sound pedagogic to you but they sound perfectly
wonderful to me.  But to tell you the truth....the works ARE pedagogic in
design.  Just listen to the preface to the 3-part inventions(Sinfonias
really) where Bach says:

   "Sincere instruction in which lovers of keyboard music and especially
   those desiring to learn to play, are shown a clear way not only (1)
   to learn to play cleanly in two parts, but also after further progress
   (2) to proceed correctly and well with three obligato parts, and at
   the same time not only to compose good inventions, but to develop
   them well; but most of all to acheive a cantabile style in playing,
   and to acquire a taste for the elements of composition."

   Prepared by JOH.  SEB.  BACH,
   Chapel <aster to His Serene Highness, the Prince of Anhalt-Cothen

I think this clears up everything.  Listen to them some more and perhaps you
can gain an appreciation for the others as well.

--Wes