From:
"Nicholas J. Yasillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:29:21 -0500
Does exposure to "classical" music enhance development in other cognitive
areas? Is math and spatial reasoning enhanced by learning about music at a
very young age? Does early training in music shape a child's brain in
beneficial ways?

The (some would say) very convincing arguments presented by authors Francis
Rauscher, Gordon Shaw and Martin Gardiner (among others) would say so.
Despite some recently published work that challenges the "Mozart Effect",
most open minded persons would probably conclude that the jury is still
out.

On the other hand, I suspect that anyone on this list would believe that
exposure to "good" music at an early age should be beneficial to any child,
if only to develop an appreciation for the music that we all love.

To the point (finally):

For the last week, I've been playing with a new "toy" designed to bring a
"hands-on" tactile exposure to music to very young children (aged 2 to 5).

I used quotes around "toy" because this is, in fact, a very sophisticated
device masquerading as a toy for little kids.  If you are a parent,
grandparent, aunt, uncle or friend of a child in this age range, this
is something you should be aware of.

The device is called "Music Blocks" and is manufactured by a company
called NEUROSMITH.  "Music Blocks" consists of a basic box that has (5)
sockets for (5) brightly colored plastic cubes (blocks) each having a
different geometric shape on each of it's six sides.  The blocks may be
inserted with any side up, individually or in any sequence.  The basic box
also has stereo loudspeakers (and a headphone jack) and an additional
socket (connector) for small programming cartridges.  NEUROSMITH calls
Music Blocks "the first in a new generation of "smart" toys".

The music that the child hears is completely dependant on the exposed
side of each block and it's order in the (5) sockets.  The possible
permutations exceeds one million!  In addition, the plug-in programming
cartridges allow the character of the device to completely change.
Currently there are (3) programming cartridges available.  One programs
each block to play a different 2-bar section of Mozarts "Eine Kleine
Nachtmusik", with the exposed side of each block selecting the instrument
combinations to be played.  Another cartridge is programmed to let the
child play music with different rhythms from around the world (mostly on
percussion instruments.  The third cartridge is designed to introduce the
child to the sounds of various instruments in the orchestra (in quite good
fidelity).

As you can gather, I'm VERY impressed with this device, and I'm convinced
that it would be a wonderful way to introduce toddlers to fine music.  I
also believe it is a fantastic bargain at the (US$ 70) it is currently
selling at.

For more information you can check out the NEUROSMITH web site:

   http://www.neurosmith.com/

I am in no way affiliated with NEUROSMITH, and the above recommendation is
completely my personal opinion.  I would welcome any feedback from anyone
who tries a Music Blocks device with a small child.  I plan to give my unit
to a friend with a three year old and see what happens.

Nick Yasillo