From:
Ed Potter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:08:06 +0100
I have a problem.  I am a pianist, having played the piano for the past
10 years.  However, recently (i.e.  in the past 2 years or so) I have
developed a sort of "stammer" when sight-reading - I seem to have the urge
to play each chord or bar at least 3 times before moving on to the next
passage.  I also seem unable to stop this from happening, no matter how
much I tell myself to "play the next bit without repeating".  This problem
is extremely annoying - I am currently preparing for grade 7 (UK) and
learning Handel's Allemande is proving very difficult and time-consuming.
I also play percussion and tuba, and curiously, I don't experience the
"stutter" when sight-reading on either tuba or any percussion instrument -
only piano.

Has anyone else experienced, or come across, this problem? And if so,
how exactly did you stamp it out?

Yours in desperation,
Ed Potter:)