From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:29:27 PDT
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>So I'm asking for advice what Mozart pieces for piano solo would you
>recommend, what are considered the best.

Concerning the piano sonatas, I'd recommend to a starter all of them
with the exception of k 280 thru k 283.  If there's a desire to be more
discriminating, k 331, 332, and 457 are my favorites.  In the non-sonata
category there's a great Rondo (k 511) and Fantasia (k 475).

Juozas indicated a little hesitation about Mozart's piano works in
comparison to Chopin's.  I think it's best not to compare these two
composers - their music is so different.  Mozart's piano music has a
simplicity on its surface and a corresponding depth which must both be
appreciated by a listener to find the music rewarding.  Many performers
slight one or the other and fail to provide all that is in these works.

Mozart's piano works have been recorded by a long list of pianists,
including the fortepiano category.  Juozas will likely receive many
differing recommendations.  My recommendation, Uchida on Philips, is based
on how well she marries the simplicity with the depth.  Also, I've never
heard the fast movements played as excitingly as Uchida plays them; she
takes listeners to the edge of their seats, and I am personally amazed each
time I listen to her that she doesn't end up going "over the edge." The
slow movements are played with an elegance and grace which equals any other
pianist.  Note:  those fast movements work best at high volume - crank it
up.

Other fine recordings include Kraus on Sony, Richter on Philips, Perahia on
Sony, and Pires on Denon/DG.  However, none of them hits the peak as Uchida
does.

If Juozas would also entertain music for two pianists, there's a superb
disc of Mozart's Sonata in D for 2 pianos performed by Perahia and Lupu
on Sony; the coupling is a stunning Schubert Fantasy, D 940.

The Wrap-Up:  Uchida's recordings and the Perahia/Lupu cd are secluded
island entries.  If Juozas does not like those performances, it's time
to listen to more Chopin.

Don Satz