From:
Felix Delbrueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:34:58 +1200
rather ungainly stab at translating Herder's 'Edward'.  You should try
to get the Scottish original, but here is what Brahms read:

   Why is your sword so red with blood,
   Edward, Edward!
   Why is your sword so red with blood,
   And you walk so sadly by? - O!
   O I have slain my falcon, [I assume 'Geierfalke', a gyrfalcon, is meant
   here; 'Geier' is literally 'vulture' which would be a very odd hunting bird
   for Edward to keep. But it is more fitting to the gory subject of the
   ballade,
   so you decide]
   Mother, mother!
   O I etc
   and have none like like him any more, O!

   Your falcon's blood isn't as red,
   Edward, Edward!
   Your falcon's etc,
   My son, confess it openly - O!
   O I have slain my russet horse,
   Mother, mother!
   O I etc
   And it was so noble and true - O!

   Your horse was old and you didn't need to,
   Edward, Edward!
   Your horse etc
   You're carrying another burden - O!
   O I have slain my father,
   Mother, mother!
   O I etc
   And sore, sore is my heart - O!

   And what shall be your penance,
   Edward, Edward!
   And what etc
   My son, confide it all - O!
   My foot shall no longer rest on land,
   Mother, mother!
   My foot etc
   I'll go far out to sea - O!

   And what shall come of your house and estate?
   Edward, Edward!
   And what etc
   That was so splendrous and beautiful - O!
   I'll let it decay till it sinks and falls,
   Mother, mother!
   I'll let etc
   I never want to see it again - O!

   And what shall come of your wife and child?
   Edward! Edward!
   And what etc
   When you go out to sea? - O!
   The world is wide, let them go beg in it,
   Mother, mother!
   The world etc
   I'll never see them again - O!

   And what will you leave your mother dear?
   Edward, Edward!
   And what etc
   My son, tell me that - O!
   Infamy and the fire of hell,