From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:24:09 -0500
Joel Lazar replies to me on the subject of cuts:

>>Sometimes, believe it or not, they think the passages so weak that the
>>work as a whole suffers.  They believe they're doing the composer a good
>>turn.  In this era of Composer Knows Best, we find such cuts hard to accept
>>and the acme of arrogance.
>
>Not so fast.....
>
>Who's "they"?

Actually, I was thinking of Bernstein's cut in Copland's Inscapes and
Szell's cut in the last movement of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

>Read my post, please.  In this instance-as in most- the case is more
>complex.

I did read it.  Very informative.  But I wasn't arguing with you.  I merely
proposed another historical reason.

Steve Schwartz