From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:36:34 -0700
I noticed, while spending *way* too much money in one of Berkeley,
CA's 3 huge used CD stores, that there is a new version of Stavinsky's
"Orpheus"--IMHO one of the composer's most poignant and lovely works.  It
is performed by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra--pick it up if you haven't
heard it and money is burning a hole in you pocket.

Other acquisitions included:  Scriabin's "Prometheus" on Chandos, ($9.95),
Ligeti's "Le Grande.." for $17.95, (can you believe that?), a new recording
of Schreker's "Chamber Symphony with Most conducting, ($9.95), Reich's
"Music for 18 Musicians" ($9.95--it was either the Reich or the
Williams/Perlman second installment of "Classics of the Silver Screen--I
wish I had gone for that one!)

"Prometheus" is great--except it has the most sudden ending since
Bruckner's 6th symphony.  bummer.  The Gramophone just reviewed a very
similar Scriabin CD with Boulez conducting the CSO--the reviewer found the
hothouse elements of the music a little underwhelming in the Boulez acct.

Previn has just come out with new recordings of Ravel's two operas, "L
Enfant..." and that other one that I'm too tired to spell.  Anyone heard?
Comparable to Maazel's classic DG account?

Seriously, I have never seen such an embarrassment of riches as one can
find on one street in Berkeley, and in San Francisco--six(!) huge used
CD stores within a 5 mile radius there.  If any of you are planning on
visiting the area I would be happy to give you the tour, and spend spend
spend.  I am told that New York City doesn't even come close.  Portland,
OR is ok, as is San Diego; but nothing like what lies by the bay.  Write!

John Smyth.