From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 18:53:15 +0000
Roger Hecht wrote:

>I've heard the Bournemouth live several times.  I don't know.  Maybe
>they're not one of the worlds greatest, plushest, and all that.  But I've
>never heard a concert by them that I didn't like.  ...
>
>Much of this may be owed to their long time conductor, Andrew Litton ...

I saw the Bournemouth under Litton perform Mahler's second with Timbre
Espace by Dutilleux (spelling?).  It was their anniversary (50/100?)
concert.  They had a second orchestra (in accordance with Mahler's
instructions I believe) in the balcony.  (Try reproducing that on your
CD player!!)

Fabulous is a word that springs too mind. The 'Independent' described
it as "a reading fitting the occassion."

Litton is on those unassuming fellows who therefore seem to become
underrated.

Bob Draper