From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:16:17 -0700
Stirling, while recommending 20th Cent. Quartets, speaks of Krasna:

>Krasna's sound world was one of many that took impressionism and inverted,
>in a manner similar to young Bartok's.  But given the comparison, Krasna is
>better at it that Bartok was, and his modalities more striking in their
>ability to depcit shimmering darkness, as a mirror of Debussy's French
>Light.

and Haas:

>Instead, it was a vocabulary oif his own invention, inspired by the work
>of Janacek.

I don't know Stirling, I would have enjoyed these pieces much more had
I never heard Debussy or Janacek.  As with most of the Entartete Music
Series, I get very frustrated because although these neglected composers
usually deliver stylistically, what they *do* with the material is another
story, especially when there styles constantly remind the ear of masters
such as Janacek and Debussy.

John Smyth, back from vacation!