From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:28:09 PDT
I'm not much of a soundtrack fan.  Generally, I find the music,
particularly for action/suspense movies, bombastic and derivative of
something that stunk in the first place.  Also, the music is too often used
to "telegraph" coming scenes, and there's too much music in movies to begin
with.  But, weak movies perhaps need a lot of music.

The soundtracks I tend to like are woven into the fabric of the movie and
don't "intrude".  Three that I liked are Out of Africa, Regarding Henry,
and Good Fellas.  Another movie, starring Warren Beatty as a politician
going over the edge (Bullworth) had a great Rap soundtrack.  It's not that
I have a particular fondness for Rap music, but it was the perfect music at
the right times in the Beatty movie - it added to my enjoyment.

Don Satz