From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 00:48:40 +0100
Ian Crisp wrote:

>Anne Overell wrote:
>
>>I've noticed a boxed set with the Quartet and Turangalila, conducted by
>>Sir Simon Rattle.  Since I first heard parts of, and got interested in,
>>Turangalila, on his series about twentieth century music, I was wondering
>>if both recordings are worth having...
>
>I have that set. Very possibly not the ideal first choice for either work,
>but for me the combination is irresistible. I'd say get it while you can.

Agreed, sorry for sir Simon, I left his one out of my list of
recommendations.  Nothing wrong with his set.  When I saw him doing
Turangalila in Rotterdam it was just great; he really blew the roof of and
the Rotterdam Philharmonic could take on any orchestra that day.  If you'd
care to hear my choice for the quartet: The Rondom kwartet (Anner Bijlsma,
Vera Beths, George Pieterson and Reinbert de Leeuw).  Especially de Leeuw
is a champion in Messiaen's music.  In the 1990-1991 season he did a very
comprehensive Messiaen cycle in Amsterdam of which some has been retained
on Chandos, excellent disc with Peter Donohoe starring in some works for
piano and orchestra.  Somewhere begin next year de Leeuw will be doing "St.
Francois" in Brussels, an occasion to look forward to.

By the way, just imagine sir Simon Rattle doing Turangalila in Berlin when
he will be in charge there.  Now that would really drive out the last
Karajan smell that's left there.

jos